2 Months in Advance
- Contact and choose a moving company. Get estimates and references from multiple companies — both for moving and storage (if you’re not moving into a new home right away).
- Create a floor plan of your new home for furniture placement.
- Make a home inventory.
- Begin to remove clutter—start with the attic and garage.
- Start a file of moving paperwork and expenses. These costs can be taken as tax credits and deductions.
- Gather/organize important personal, family, and financial records/documents.
2-3 Weeks in Advance
- Dispose of items that can’t be moved (paints, cleaners. propane, flammables).
- Recycle electronics, plastics, metals papers, etc.
- Transfer automobile registration and drivers’ license (if new state).
- Donate items to charity.
Let current professional support services know that you’re moving:
- Financial Planner
- Health Insurance Provider
- Bank/Credit Union
- Auto Finance Co.
- Home care service providers (gardener, cleaning service)
6 Weeks in Advance
- Schedule moving date/reserve truck.
- Complete change of address with post office: www.usps.com/umove/
Notify government offices of your move:
- City/County Tax Assessor
- State Vehicle Registration
- Social Security Administration
- State/Federal Tax Bureau
- Get antiques or valuables appraised
- Order moving materials.
- Start to pack: seasonal clothing and other items not in immediate use.
- Clean out closets and drawers.
- Hold a garage or moving sale.
1 Week in Advance
- If using a mover: Confirm dates and time of packing and moving.
- If moving yourself: Confirm moving truck.
- Find a new home for items that you’re not taking with you.
- Confirm travel arrangements.
Pack a travel it for you and your family members:
- Financial items: credit cards, cash, etc.
- Travel: Passports, birth certificates.
- Children: Toys, medications, books, clothing, car seat
- Clothing/Personal Supplies: Items needed during the move period.
- Pay any final bills
- Transfer safe deposit box contents to new branch.
4 Weeks in Advance
- Send new address to friends/family members
Schedule disconnection of services old property/connection of services at new one:
- Utilities (electricity, water, gas, trash)
- Cancel automatic bill pay set-up for any of the above services
- Contact insurance companies to moving coverage and to transfer policies to new location/home.
- File Change of Address with Credit card companies and Subscriptions
- Kids/Pets: Drop off kids/pets at-pre-arrangedcaresite.
- Confirm bill of lading and inventory before signing.
- Do a final clean of your old home.
- Be sure to have someone at old home during move-out
- Make a floor plan of where all furniture is going
- Be available to answer any questions
- Check boxes and belongings. Note any missing items or damage
- Supervise loading and unloading
- Be prepared to pay the mover and have cash on hand to tip workers.
Enjoy Your New Home!
- Create a folder of important information about your house for the next homeowner.
Be sure to include your new address so that future residents can forward any mail.
- Install new batteries in smoke/carbon monoxide detectors
- Re-Key your locks
- Register to vote